Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cooking at Home- My thoughts.

I just read a very interesting article about how people need to learn to cook. I was curious because of my newfound "I'm so in love with this" thing is Jamie Olliver's Cookbook, Jamie's Food Revolution. The article branches into eating different cuts of meat, but for those of us, like myself who are undecided on whether or not we want to put liver into our mouths I'm going to focus on the cooking at home bits.

So, as we've discovered I bought this cookbook because, well, I am a pizza ordering fiend. The first thing Panago taught their delivery guys was how to get to my house (I live in a pretty secluded area, so this actually was a neccessary endeaver). The minute my parents went out, my brother and I would hop to the phone and order some sweet, calorific delicousness.

The problem was, each time we placed about a $40 order. (a large pizza to split, and like 4 packs of wings and ridiculous amounts of coke) Despite the fact that all I ever had was a couple cans of coke and 2 or 3 slices of pizza, I usually ended up footing the bill because I'm the 4-years-younger responsible one. This habit got transferred to my alone self, and suddenly cooking took a backseat to the ease of ordering a pizza.

Not only did this take a toll on my wallet, but honestly, it wasn't doing my body any good. I heard about this new cookbook, and lets be honest here, I only bought it because it had pictures of Jamie cooking- It's a hot boy doing a hot thing! I also had an inkling of an idea that I would host dinner parties with my friends instead of going out every week. (that spiel, along with "my parents'll let your underage ass drink in the house" got Jen to allow me to buy said book) My brother, Chris, decided that it looked acceptable to him and we've actually done a lot of cooking. I think we've only gotten pizza like once in the past few months. Of course we've saved heaps of money and I've reincarnated a relationship with these things called vegetables.

In the end, I guess take out isn't that good for you. In the environmental scheme of things, I suppose it has some effect. I'm less likely to chop up some meat than I am to chop up some veggies because raw meat grosses me out a little bit. Tonight I'm on my own for dinner. I'm gonna have some of the delicious chilli I made last night, and then I might just mosey over to modcloth and reward my savvy saving with a pair of shoes....

2 comments:

blair.jones said...

Mmm Jamie Oliver.. definitely hot! I'm also fond of Gordon Ramsay.

As for dinner parties.. my friends and I do it often! Each month someone else hosts.

I love cooking & baking.. definitely willing to share/exchange recipes!

Sandy said...

oooh! we should do a recipe post.
cooking is gt's heyy?
today my bro and i ordered pizza again and i was shocked at the price.