Saturday, August 15, 2009

A note on careers and values.

It bothers me when children say, "When I grow up, I want to be a(n) *insert profession here."
What is saying that you're going to be a doctor, accountant or lawyer really meaning? There are tons of horrible doctors, millions of accounts who are direly unhappy, and I hear a lot of lawyers are crooked, but that's purely a rumour. I did it too, I wanted to be a ballerina who also sang and wrote books and run an orphanage for all the poor kids so they could be loved and have a home. 

When was the last time you heard a child saying, "When I grow up, I want to be honest, fun and happy"? 
I'm not trying to undermine the value of a career here, I'm trying to undermine the weight people put on the value of a career. If instead of teaching children they had to be addicted to working to be a fabulous success, why don't we teach them it doesn't matter what job you have, if you're a) an alcoholic, b) a drug addict or c) just plain unhappy, how high up are you really? 

No comments: