Saturday, April 25, 2009

Things are changing... I think.

This is going to be a brief one, because I don't think there's that much that I really want to put out there. But there are still a few thoughts running through my head that I'd like to share.

The first is that we are all getting older, and that it's remarkable how much our roles in the game of life change as we age. A few of my friends are in faster programs than my own (including our dear Sandy), and they'll have to get real jobs (i.e. careers) and start living adult lives soon, possibly in the next few months. Given that I still have yet to a) have a real job and b) move out of my parents house, and c) am going to be in university for about the next 6 years at the very least, this is a staggering thought to me. I mean, I've been a kid with very few real responsibilities for my entire life. Soon I'll have to start thinking in a completely different mindset about how I live my life. It's a little scary, really...

The second is that, as we age and change, we grow apart from the people we ally ourselves with. It's hard to stop it, and we feel differently about each of these changing relationships, but they are changing regardless. I'm not really sure what to do about it: do I maintain the ties I have to people who I really have nothing in common with anymore, and how can I mold the ones who I do still have ties with into the new relationships that may be forming?

In short, life is complicated. True story.

No comments: