Monday, April 27, 2009

A Knitting Update

Today my aunt—who is essentially responsible for getting me on the knitting train, although it was a friend of mine who got me kick-started—dropped by for a cup of tea. We got to talking about knitting, and it took up about half of our discussion, so now my head is aswirl with needles and yarn and all kinds of wonderful textile project possibilities. I thought I might share a few here.

The project I'm currently working on is a cardigan from a book called Hip To Knit. It's supposed to be a book for beginners with a few easy projects that progress through the basics from scarves to hats to mittens to sweaters. My aunt (yes, the same one mentioned above) handed off some orange/brown/yellow yarn to me (which is why I call it my candy corn cardigan), and I thought it would suit the pattern. Unfortunately the gauge is doing all kinds of weird things, so I'm basically just having to ignore any and all stitch counts they give me and just knit according to the measurements in the back. Regardless of whether the stitch count is right, I think it'll turn out well, as long as I can make it the right size.

After that I'll be starting a vest. A while ago I bought some lovely green yarn, very slightly variegated, from one of the yarn stores in Vancouver. I've had my eye on this pattern for a while (it's the scoop neck vest by blue sky alpaca if anyone's wondering), and I thought this would be lovely. Plus, I have very little green in my wardrobe, so I thought this would add a little much-needed variety.

After that I have another cardigan sort of thing lined up. It' a bit of a cropped jacket with a Wonderful high collar. I found this absolutely incredible multicoloured yarn at a fibre festival out in Abbotsford a few weeks ago, and it'll suit the pattern wonderfully (it's the 28thirty jacket by Sarah & Rachel). I think I'll do it with half or 3/4 sleeves, just because I'll save a little yarn that way.

Anyway, that's it for now! Happy knitting ^_^

No comments: