Friday, December 5, 2008

A short rant...

Now I want you all to bear in mind that this is coming straight from the mouth of an English major.

This afternoon, the Ella Enchanted movie was on TV. I have seen it before, and it is fun, so I watched a bit of it before dinner and had a generally fun time; however, it got me thinking. There have been countless movies before it that gave me the same idea: why is it that Hollywood has to make movies from books that do a Horrible job of encapsulating the story, characters and issues of the plot, but are so much fun??? The latest version of The Importance of Being Earnest comes to mind (starring Colin Firth as Jack Worthing and Rupert Everett as Algernon Moncrieff — now, for those who don't know, this is quite possibly the single funniest play ever written and I highly suggest you read it). Now in this version of Earnest, just as in the Ella Enchanted movie, they've completely (though not as badly) mangled the script and chopped up the story line for the pure purpose of making it "Hollywood accessible" or some weak excuse like that. Ella Enchanted is even Worse; almost the entire plot of the film is made up, as are some of the characters, and even those characters who Did exist are forced to take on entirely different roles because of the warped story. Now, having said that, I do not exactly dislike the film... It's lots of fun at times. Being that this is not one of the movies I've basically memorized (and there are many) I can't give you an example, but it does have it's moments.


At any rate, my point is this: I always feel guilty about enjoying a movie that should make someone like me (who essentially worships books) cringe with disgust and leave after five seconds. The Harry Potter movies do make me do this often, but there is a certain amount of obligation there, so I sit through them anyway. So now that I feel guilty about it, and I've made my peace with my conscience, I'm going to go and watch the end of the movie (which I missed) on youtube. Ciao!

2 comments:

♥cherry. le. fait. said...

i have read and watched Ella Enchanted and i agree with you. I've only read The Importance of Being Earnest. i don't think that i could stand to watch it butchered. and i feel a little obligated to sit through the Potter movies with my disappointment. Movieverse and Bookverse. whatcha gonna do about it? i personally always prefer Bookverse to the film adaptations.

roses_are_red said...

The books are clearly always better. I get so disappointed when they mess with the story lines in movies... Like when the cut Tom Bombadil out of the LOTR movies? Tragic. Absolutely tragic. And don't even get me started on Harry Potter... :P