Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hidey Doodey.

Hello world of blogging! This is all very new for me, so we're just going to play it by ear. Sound good? I hope so.

So. Let's start with my life.

Today. Today is a good place to start... I slept in a little bit this morning, which was nice. I should have spent the whole day studying for my French exam, but most of it was idled away on Facebook (of course). Also I did some knitting. Oh, man, I must tell you about my knitting.

Okay, so I am knitting my first pair of socks. Now you must understand that I come from a LOOOONNNGGG line of knitters (or at least, knitting women) on all sides of my family, so the fact that I'm only just taking it up is kind of incredible. However, sometimes these things take time, I suppose. In any case, I digress. I am finally learning to knit socks, and my Aunt gave me some marvelous sock yarn to start with. We are Very excited about this sock yarn. I'm nearly finished one whole sock and it looks Incredible. The main colour is red (and I mean REALLY red), but it's also got pretty much every colour in the spectrum in there in little splotches as well, so they're just totally rainbow. My cousin refers to them (accurately) as 'party socks'. The best part is that all the little splotches of colour are actually in the right order. I have a lot of fun with them, I must say. And I'm actually really enjoying the tiny gauge, it's very easy for my equally tiny hands to manipulate. I find that the bigger yarns tend to slip off of my hands...

So anyway, enough about knitting. Let's see, what else happened today... Oh yes, so while I was knitting I watched one of the greatest Christmas movies Ever to get myself into the spirit of the season; I am speaking, of course, of the Muppet Christmas Carol. For those among you who haven't seen it (and you really must rectify this), the movie stars all the usual suspects (i.e., Kermit as Bob Cratchet, Miss Piggy and Mrs. Cratchet, Fozzie Bear as Mr. Fezziewig (or Fozziewig, in this case) and Gonzo as Mr. Charles Dickens) and Michael Caine as Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge. Now, Michael Caine is without doubt (and the Globe and Mail supports me on this :P ) the Best Mr. Scrooge Of all time. He is so perfectly belligerent, I cannot begin to describe how perfect he is for this role. Absolutely amazing. And I love Gonzo as Dickens, what a great narrator he makes. The thing that I love about Muppet movies (and this is no exception) is that they invariably contain fourth wall breaks. I mean, Rizzo openly acknowledges the audience at least once, and refers to Gonzo out of character quite blatantly, plus there's Sam the Eagle's big slip while acting as Young Scrooge's teacher: "It is the American way!" you have to see the movie to get it, but it's really just a hoot and a half. Go check it out. 'Tis the season, after all.

And then of course, there was my French exam. We will not go into any real detail on this, I would prefer not to discuss such dreary things here. And so, I think it only right to close with a quote from Pride and Prejudice (the single greatest book ever written), to help you get to know me a little both because of the source and because of the quote itself: "There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me."

1 comment:

♥cherry. le. fait. said...

sorry that the french exam was so dreary :( and i can understand how FBook just consumes time meant for studying. it's doing that to me right now, actually.