Saturday, November 1, 2008

It's that time again...

I don't know about anyone else, but I start thinking about Christmas now. Once haloween is over, it's fair game. Plus, the sooner I think, the longer I have to make my list. When I was a kid it was even earlier- the minute the sears wishbook came out, i was all over it. My Christmas lists were a work of art. I had the item, then i had different stores, the prices there and which malls they were located in. I also included item numbers if they were available to me and if neccesary a colour and size. Despite all this effort, I still ended up with some amazingly awful gifts, but thats not the point I'm making here.

If i were to add up all my Christmas pressents, I'm sure I would easily get at least $500-$1,000 if not more. I don't need anything I got. In the way of basic neccesities i'm well taken care of. I don't need any more clothes, and if I want them, I could easily make them. So how come I felt that rush of euphoric materialism when the sears catolouge came in the mail?

The answer is incredibly simple: I am selfish. I admit it. I'm a human being and as much as it kills me to say it, I think greed is part of the human condition. We want more, need more, lust after more for whatever sick reason.

You know how they say admitting your problem is the first step to recovery? Well, heres my first year of recovery from sick, sick materialism. This is my Christmas List:
From my Parents: A Water Buffalo for a Filipino village. One water buffalo can provide draft power, milk and manure. Families can also earn money by renting it out.
From my Aunt: Filling a Library in a devoloping country. Reading is important, it's one of my favorite things to do. No one should be deprived of the skill or pleasure.
From my Aunt and Uncle and Cousins- A two day stay at a camp for a child. I went to guide camp for a week once, it was probably the most fun i've had. Ever. imagine if my whole life was working and i got to do this, it would be so much more meaningful.
From the Great Aunts: A sewing course. it's an important skill, and people can make money off of it. A flock of Chicks, Ducks or Geese, and a Trio of Rabbits. Livestock helps families eat and provides a source of income by selling eggs, etc.
(all these gifts are from either www.heifer.org or from CFHI http://www.cfhi.ca/Gifts?leadsource=115&gclid=COunkfH6wZYCFQykagodZj8Fyg)

I used to want to go into adolescent psychology for one reason: I wanted to help kids. I shared this dream with a person who at the time was a close friend. She responded by telling me that was so cliche. You know whats really cliche? Not caring about the state of the world or the well being of others. I don't care if it's "cliche", Help people. we are the only chance others have.
And honestly i'd rather be cliche than be a bitch, wouldn't you?

4 comments:

♥cherry. le. fait. said...

"hello, my name is cherry and i'm a human."
--"hi, cherry."

i sure would rather be cliché than be a bitch for no reason. i like your Christmas list! it's very noble. i have to confess that a laptop is still in mine..

Rawr said...

thank you :)
and i fully admit to leaving my godfather out of my list. he sends me the neatest things from belgium.
a girl has to be a LITTLE naughty...

Arielle said...

Being cliche is much better than being a bitch, because being a bitch can be cliche at times.

Rawr said...

makes sense!
it's so true though, i mean people just don't like mean people, but cliche people are fun and quirky!